March 19 (updated March 31, April 7) Hello all, reading our last blog from only 12 days ago (March 9) seems so dated already – “We are open but staying safe and clean for you”. Now our message is much different: “We are closed and staying safe, staying busy improving ourselves and the Inn, and we look forward to when we see our guests again.”
We expect to be closed until April 30 at minimum due to the national shelter in place advisories, (it is even more strict in Maryland) and have updated our reservation system accordingly
Here on the East Coast and in much of the country we have shut down and shut in, restaurants are closed, the runs on the grocery stores are mostly over, and everyone is hunkering down. We are blessed to have some wonderful neighbors and friends locally (and even a West Point plebe!) to mutually support each other and keep our spirits up.
As you may imagine, we have had many cancellations and are refunding guests. We are handling each situation on a case by case basis, but please know we have not kept anyone’s deposit, though we charge a small cancellation fee. However we ask guests to hold off on any cancellations beyond the next weeks. The updates seem to change daily as we learn more about this perverse and unique virus, and there are various projections about when we reach the peak, the results of vaccines and existing drugs etc.
The US Naval Academy is temporarily shut down and have gone to distance learning but graduation is still on, this is a much more important event than a civilian university. We have a feeling it will be delayed. This is a hugely important event for the midshipmen and their families.
So what are we doing during the shut down?
- Pulling forward low cost maintenance projects – lots of painting! We are painting all exterior trim we can reach, some long neglected interiors of windows and have started on repainting and refreshing the Fleet Suite. And after that we will freshen up our shed in the back. Always something to do….
- Finishing a room remodel – the Water Witch room is completely remodeled, and soon will be renamed … we’ll keep the new name a mystery for now 🙂 . And no pics quite yet…
- Promoting all our downtown Annapolis merchants! See this #AnnapolisStrong website where you can browse, shop and buy gift certificates for many businesses
- Cleaning anything and everything inside. All bedding, all surfaces are clean and wiped down
- Improving ourselves – the Naval Academy is eerily quiet but great for a reflective walk, we’re trying some new breakfast items, and will do some skill development on Google Analytics and other tools too
- We are supporting our community – we have donated food to a local homeless shelter, and giving info on resources for income support to our cleaners who are contract employees.
- Staying connected with friends & family in a mutual support network
- We are planning for when we reopen and are developing enhanced cleaning protocols beyond the high standards of cleanliness we already achieve
- And most difficult of all, trying to be mindful about social distance. We’re social by nature in our business, so this is the hardest thing of all
Bottom line: We are well capitalized and we will survive.
We have the belief we are going to get through this, our country and much of the world is strong, talented, resilient and innovative. We hope you do too. So stay inside, follow the health guidelines and stay busy. We can’t wait to see you again!