Here’s another update on things to do in and around Annapolis. Did you know you can be at the DC Metro in 25 minutes ? The eastern shore in less than 30 minutes? Downtown Baltimore in 40 minutes? We’ve had several guests use the Flag House Inn as a base of operations for day trips in the area
We spent a recent Sunday afternoon taking a quick day trip to Alexandria VA, it’s a suburb/town near to Washington DC, was settled in the 1700’s (George Washington kept his surveyors office here), and now serves a dual role as residential neighborhood, offices and tourist destination. Even better, it’s directly on the Potomac river with water taxi access for cruising up and down the Potomac river. You can drive another 15-20 minutes and visit Mt Vernon, George Washington’s home.
(Be aware you can hit rush hour traffic, so plan your travels accordingly and check traffic reports/Google maps etc. 103.5 FM is good for real time traffic as you are driving along)
So what’s there to do in Alexandria? Highlights include:
- Walk King St, the hub of dining & shopping. We had lunch at the Warehouse Bar & Grill restaurant (New Orleans inspired menu).
- Walk along the waterfront. King street runs right into the Potomac, literally. We had a nice walk and rest in Founders Park
- Even better take the Water Taxi, which runs up and down the Potomac – the taxis run much longer distances than our Annapolis water taxis – the boats are bigger too! Try the Potomac Water Taxi and Potomac Riverboat company
- A few other sites of note: The Torpedo Factory, a collection of artist working spaces and galleries (Yes it used to be a torpedo factory!) and some of the historic homes such as the Carlyle house and the National Inventors Hall of Fame
- How about a walking tour? Try Discover Alexandria, a tour company owned by USNA grads
So if you’re up for a little road trip, give Alexandria VA a try!